The Post Card Club of Oswego became just one of many, many area clubs, organizations, businesses etc. to donate to the Dr, Mary E. Walker Statue Fund. In 2003, the Oswego Town Historical Society began their drive to create a lasting memorial in recognition of town native Dr. Walker. While the statue has reached completion, there are still expenses including the upcoming Dedication Program which will take place Saturday, May 12.
On May 12, the 180th year of Dr. Walker’s birth, the statue will be dedicated and formally presented to the Town of Oswego by Oswego Town Historical Society officers. The program will begin at 10 am, but the 10th Mountain Division U.S. Army Band Brass Quintet will provide some pre-ceremony musical selections, so plan on being there early if you are attending.
The program will take place at the Oswego Town Hall, 2320 County Route 7 and is open to the public. The Oswego High School Brass Ensemble, Minetto School Chorus and the aforementioned Brass Quintet will provide stirring musical selections in between the speakers, which include Dr. Sharon Harris who will give the keynote address and Sharon BuMann, the statue’s sculptor. Dr. Harris is a professor of English at the University of Connecticut and has published fifteen books including Dr. Mary Walker: An American Radical, 1832-1919.
Dr. Walker’s Congressional Medal and other items will be on display. Light refreshments will be served. Parking is at a premium so early arrival is recommended.
Photo Caption: George Baker and Rose Costello of the Post Card Club present Terry Cooper, Treasurer of the OTHS with a contribution to the Dr. Mary Walker Statue fund.